Beginning January 8, the winter edition of Total Home & Gift Market (January 8-14) will inspire and motivate designers with new products and business insights across the marketplace. We know that it’s a special effort to visit during the busy show but rest assured that your Uber ride or early arrival for parking will be well worth it. For example, this year’s market will include a special series of events created for the design community including entrepreneur Aerin Lauder, tastemakers Thom Filicia and Carson Kressley, and global trend forecaster Patti Carpenter. Read on for the full schedule.
A keynote appearance by tastemaker and business leader Aerin Lauder on Friday, January 10 at 1:00 pm will bring celebrity star power and entrepreneurship to center stage in the atrium of the World Trade Center. “The World of AERIN” will focus on how her heritage as the granddaughter of Estee Lauder was the foundation and point of difference for her lifestyle brand. She quickly realized people were interested in buying into a lifestyle as opposed to a product and learned that the modern woman sees beauty as an extension of herself, her wardrobe, her home, her travels and her family. That is when she decided to have beauty and home live together and evolve AERIN to a complete lifestyle concept. Lighting has been a successful and important category for the brand and she will walk you through the evolution of her collections.
On Thursday evening, Thom Filicia and Carson Kressley, will welcome guests to the ARTS Awards Gallery Preview Night ahead of co-hosting the 31st annual ARTS Awards on Friday at the Hilton Anatole hotel. Thom appears as the cover star for the next issue of Spark magazine and offers insights about inspiration: “To be inspired, first and foremost, I think you have to be authentically interested in design—constantly evaluating it, interacting with it, creating it, talking about it.”
Wednesday, January 8
- Global trend expert Patti Carpenter discusses “Color Trends” on Wednesday at 1:00 pm on the stage of the World Trade Center atrium.
- The Antiques Diva, Toma Clark Haines, will present “Design Inspiration with the Diva” at 3:00 pm in Market Hall followed by a trend tour at 4:30 pm.
Thursday, January 9
- Susan Inglis, executive director of the Sustainable Furnishings Council, presents “How to Furnish a Healthy Home: a Style Tour on Sustainable Furniture” on Thursday at 11:00 am.
- Join Dann Foley, Libby Langdon, and Kristi Hopper for a discussion about selling luxury upholstery, minimalist design, and how to maximize profits. A very special presentation by Libby Langdon and her new upholstery line with Fairfield will also be featured. Charles Ray showroom (WTC 9002) at 1:00 pm.
- Luxury bedding is the focus of this special 2:30 pm presentation with Dann Foley and Kristi Hopper. Don’t miss an opportunity to experience one of Oprah’s Favorite Things and find out the tips & tricks to selling and maximizing both profit and exclusivity in this highly competitive market. Location: Cozy Earth (WTC 6-501).
- Join two powerhouse designers, Lisa McDennon and Robin Baron, at 4:00 pm in Light + Design on Ten as they discuss lighting, design, and the crucial role that business development plays in expanding your brand footprint and your business.
- The ARTS Awards Gallery Preview Night will include industry peers and celeb tastemakers Thom Filicia and Carson Kressley. Mix and mingle while celebrating home industry excellence. Delight in cocktails and conversation while viewing an exhibit honoring the 31st Annual ARTS Awards finalists. Location: WTC 531.
Friday, January 10
- Join Jessica Robb for a Millennial Design Panel taking place in the main stage in the World Trade Center atrium at 9:00 am.
- Join designer Libby Langdon at the In-Detail showroom (WTC 500) for a meet and greet beginning at 10:00 am.
- The StyleEyes panel of trend spotters and tastemakers including several design influencers convenes to share their discoveries at 11:00 am on Friday on the main stage in the World Trade Center atrium.
- Join designers Dann Foley and Libby Langdon in the Stylecraft showroom (WTC 10074) at noon to see the latest in lighting and occasional furniture from Stylecraft and Harp & Finial and to learn how to recognize profit potential from a value brand. Let Dann & Libby introduce you to the newest trends and how to create luxury interiors with profit-heavy potential.
- Botanical Mix (IHDC 1D110) hosts designers Dann Foley and Shay Geyer at 2:00 pm to discuss luxury floral. Learn how to create your own exclusive botanicals with an eye for maximizing profits. They will be joined by Legends, the luxury porcelain brand preferred by Dann and Shay, and many other top designers.
- At 1:00 pm lifestyle entrepreneur Aerin Lauder takes the stage in the World Trade Center atrium to discuss her brand and business experience. “The World of AERIN” will focus on how her heritage as the granddaughter of Estee Lauder was the foundation and point of difference for her lifestyle brand.
- The 31st Annual ARTS Awards will honor the best in the home industry including interior designers. The black-tie gala event will be hosted by Carson Kressley and Thom Filicia and will recognize this year's finalists, winners, and special honoree Michael Amini. Reservations required.
Monday, January 13
- An Emerging Designers Event from 4:30-6:30PM will include a panel of experts speaking at the Erdos + Ko showroom (WTC 10014), followed by a marketplace tour led by Michael Bauer, and concluding with a cocktail party at 5:30 pm in The Gallery, Interior Home + Design Center.
For designers eager to learn more about floral inspiration, there are several seminars taking place during the show. Check it all out: a complete list of events at market is available here.